Tuesday, 7 June 2011

How a bear took over one of my poems...

The girls had run away, but the bear called after them: "Snow-white and Rose-red, don't be afraid; wait, and I'll come with you." Then they recognized his voice and stood still, and when the bear was quite close to them his skin suddenly fell off, and a beautiful man stood beside them, all dressed in gold.

The ladybird book about Snow White and Rose Red. Snow White was quiet and liked housework, whilst Rose Red liked running in the forest and laughing. This meant that Snow White gets the Prince at the end and Rose Red has to marry his brother, who has not been mentioned in the story at all and never described, poor Rose Red, does she have a choice? The moral of this tale: quiet domesticated girls get rewarded. 
As a child I always liked Rose Red best...




Rose Red exactly how I imagine her, bravely dealing with the annoying dwarf whilst Snow White looks all anxious and scared. Painted by Arthur Rackham


I love this story. Anthropomorphic animals always get into my poems and novels. I am writing my dissertation about them. My poem about Rose Red details the reality of falling in love with a bear.

Bears make lousy lovers, they crap in corners and the hair gets everywhere.

I read three poems at Parole Parlate, spoken word event in Worcester and got a great reaction from the audience about the Bear poem, I guess everyone wanted to know what happens when you fall in love with a bear. Read the review of the night below.

Parole Parlate Spoken Word Night : Review

2 comments:

  1. There is a film adaption from 1979 there both of the princes turn into animals, one of them turns into a bear and the other becomes a falcon (or hawk, I'm not sure). They also meet Snow White and Rose Red quite early on in the film.

    First part (with English subtitles) is up on Youtube, but the personen has not uploaded more parts...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjW4q5cyDUc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the link, I really enjoyed watching that!

    ReplyDelete